Getting your tan indoors from a sunbed provides an effective and safe way to build your base in a controlled environment so that you can achieve gorgeous bronzed skin. It also increases your Vitamin D levels which improves your mood and flights depression.
Whether you are new to tanning beds and booths or if you’re just looking to get the most out of your tan, this list of tanning bed tips for before, during, and after your tanning session will help give you ultimate and lasting results.
How to Prepare for Indoor Tanning in a Sunbed:
- Shower, shave, and exfoliate the day prior to your tanning session. Doing so will prepare your skin so that your tan will last longer. Exfoliating helps to remove dead skin cells, making it easier for light to penetrate and activate melanin production to create a beautiful bronze color.
- Moisturize your skin with a non-oil-based lotion after showering. Keeping your skin hydrated by applying moisturizer and drinking plenty of water before and after you tan yields better tanning results and prolongs the life of your tan.
- Check your prescriptions for possible side effects of increased skin sensitivity when exposed to UV rays.
- Avoid wearing perfume, essential oils or deodorant. These can hinder results as they can create a barrier between the UV rays and your skin.
What to Do During a Tanning Session:
- Speak with the tanning experts at ULTRATAN about your skin type so they can help you determine the best sunbed, products for skin care, and amount of time for your sessions.
- Remove any makeup, jewelry, watches or hair ties on wrists to avoid tan lines.
- Use lip balm with SPF to protect your lips.
- Strip down to your comfort level. If you prefer to go bare, be mindful of those sensitive areas that aren’t usually exposed to sunlight.
- Start by applying your favorite facial tanning product to your face. Next, apply tanning lotion in a circular motion to cover your body. Expert tip: Use a prep lotion such as an intensifier before you apply bronzer to extend your tan, balance and correct your color, boost the development of your bronzer, and nourish the skin with essential nutrients.
- Protect your eyes as required by law. We want to make sure you don’t damage your eyes from the UV rays, and we have protective eyewear available at all of our UT salons.
- Stop if your skin starts to sting or tingle. The goal is to gradually build a base tan without burning.
How to Care for Your Skin After a Tanning Session:
- Wait to shower for 2-3 hours as your bronzer needs time to oxidize and develop the full color. If you need to shower right away, use a natural bronzer.
- Avoid shaving or waxing after each tanning session so you don’t remove the top layer of your skin that you just tanned.
- Let your skin rest. All UT salons have a 24-hour tanning policy that aligns with FDA recommendations to give your color a chance to fully develop and to care for your skin.
- Apply a high quality tan extender daily to lengthen the life of your tan by keeping your skin hydrated and moisturized. ULTRATAN has a variety of amazing tan extenders you’ll love.
- Maintain your gorgeous glow by tanning 1-3 times per week. ULTRATAN’s knowledgeable tanning experts can help you come up with a plan to reserve your color.