Have a big event or vacation coming up? A spray tan is the perfect way to get an even and natural looking glow in just one sunless tanning session. If you haven’t gotten a sunless tan before, you may be a little intimidated of stepping into that spray booth. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with all of the do’s and don’ts in preparing for spray tanning and the after care so you can avoid orange and uneven color, dark palms, and fading too quickly.
We recommend spraying a day or two before your event so you have time to develop and your color will be at its peak. Your spray tan should last anywhere from 5-10 days depending on how you care for your skin afterwards. Follow these steps to ensure a natural looking and even bronze color, and to extend the life of your tan.
How to Prepare for a Spray Tan
- Exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin cells. This will help the sunless tanning solution apply evenly and your tan will last longer.
- Shave or wax your body at least 12 hours before your spray tan so you don’t risk removing color along with your hair.
- Remove moisturizer, makeup and deodorant prior to your session as these can cause a barrier and hinder the solution from saturating your skin.
- Wear dark, loose fitting clothing to avoid color from transferring to your clothes. You’ll have the chance to dry before leaving the salon, but it’s best not to risk it.
- Paint your nails– even if just a clear topcoat- to ensure they won’t be stained from the tanning solution.
- Apply barrier cream provided by the tanning salon to hands, feet, elbows, knees, and nails to prevent too much color.
- Use spray tanning accessories such as a hairnet, nose plugs and sticky feet to block the spray solution from covering unwanted areas.
How to Extend Your Spray Tan
- Wait 4-6 hours before showering so that your spray tan can fully develop. It’s best to use warm water rather than hot, and use your hand to gently wash rather than a washcloth or loofah the first couple days.
- Use a high quality tan extender to moisturize your skin daily. This will keep your skin hydrated and healthy, slowing the rate of exfoliation.
So there you have it! Just follow these simple steps to get a gorgeous, natural-looking and lasting tan from a spray tan. If you have any more questions, stop by any ULTRATAN salon and one of our knowledgeable and trained tanning consultants would love to help you achieve your perfect tan. Your first spray tan with us is only $9.95, so come see us today!